About Me

I'm a freelance artist, designer and demonstrator and have been involved in arts and craft my whole life in one way or another. I design stamps for top British company Personal Impressions, under the "Lindsay Mason Designs" brand, as well as papers, templates and other crafting products. I'm a certified Ranger Educator and my first book,"Stamping", was published in 2009. I also design regular projects for Crafts Beautiful magazine and have made guest appearances from time to time on QVC. I've recently joined You Tube under the name of LindsayMason1000 where I'm posting short technique videos and you can buy my paintings and hand crafted pieces from my Etsy shop. My work takes me all around the country demonstrating stamping, papercrafts and general inkiness! When I'm not working, I love gardening, church & community activities, nature watching, journalling, music and theatre and just relaxing at home. Email me at: ljm.design1@virginmedia.com

Sunday 12 May 2013

Port Sunlight

What a dolly mixture kind of a weekend it's been! It's been glorious sunshine here one minute, then really chilly, then raining and there were even hailstones on the way home yesterday. I set off at 6.45am for my trip to Port Sunlight and the Happy Stampers show and my first train change was at Wigan, where there were hundreds of footie fans (good natured ones!) waiting for the train down to London where their team were playing in the cup final. Standing room only so I was glad that I was only on board until Warrington!
After a couple more trains I reached Port Sunlight and walked down to Hulme Hall where I was shown to my lovely big demonstration table and then brought a coffee and a bacon butty - talk about being looked after! I'd not long got set up when I heard my name being called and looked up to see Sheila, Kath and Elaine......
 ......all of whom I haven't seen for about eighteen months or more. That's my table to the right of the picture - sorry it's a view from the back, not the front! Hello's too to the lovely Jacqui, Christine and Chris, who I didn't manage to get snaps of, and the "two sisters" (they're actually mum and daughter, but David always called them the two sisters!) Melanie and Joanne who I did......
....posing with one of my "journal pages". I was given a gorgeous tag and ATC by Sheila and Chris respectively...thank you both.
It was a really busy day at the show...one of the best organised in my opinion. There were lots of great stands, although, as usual, I didn't get the chance for more than a barely cursory glance. Great to spend time amongst real stamping fans who crowded Hulme Hall all day and I was really gratified to hear all the lovely feedback for my Doo Lally Pips! (oh, that sounded a bit rude didn't it?!) I was also very touched by all the good wishes and positive comments on my decision to take up the invitation to become deputy Verger at St Chads.
There was only one negative thing about the day and that was that, on returning from my quick sandwich break, I found that someone, or someones, had taken all the tags that I had placed at the front of my table, plus one or two off the display stand, a small canvas and two of my Distress ink pads. Karen, from the Happy Stampers (who organise the show) had asked if I wanted someone to sit at my table when I went for lunch, but, not suspecting there may be such rotten people in the room, I said it would be okay. Karen kept apologising to me, but it was no reflection on the organisers....just down to bad human nature I'm afraid.
It made me really furious though (as well as the customers who were there when I realised what had happened) especially as I'm really up against it for the next three weeks getting enough samples made for demos and workshops etc. I really don't know why anyone thinks it is okay to just take things that someone has spent time creating, but then, there's a lot I don't understand about human nature. Thankfully, 99% of the people I meet wouldn't dream of doing such a thing and I'm not going to let it spoil an otherwise lovely day. So there!
After the show finished I did my usual speed packing and was off to the station to catch the first of my four trains home. Unfortunately I took some bad advice from a couple of the rail staff and decided to take a slightly different route than the one I had planned and went to Liverpool Lime Street having been assured that there was bound to be a direct train that would get me home earlier. I should have known better really and it turned out that I couldn't get a direct train and my ETA would be almost an hour later than if I'd stuck to my plan! Add to that, the signals went pop not long after leaving Liverpool which resulted in a stop start journey as the driver had to get permission to continue safely at a snail's pace....oh well....the best laid plans and all that!
I decided that, being back so much later than I'd planned, I would be a bit naughty and I picked up a beef curry from the Chinese takeaway on the walk home from the station.I got back, fed my two sulky feline friends, put my jim jams on and opened the bottle of lager that I'd discovered in the back of a cupboard a few days before. Well, I very rarely have anything stronger than soda water, so I didn't feel too naughty. It nearly knocked me sideways though and I slept pretty well!
Good thing I set my alarm this morning as neither Thomas nor Tara woke me up - they must have thought I needed my bed! I walked up to church and, after the service, there was a "pasta & pizza" lunch in the church hall to which all the parishioners were invited. Very nice too, with lasagne, various salads, etc all made by the Curate's husband! There was wine too, but after the way the lager knocked me out last night I thought I'd better decline!
So, I was quite late home from the village and I got back feeling pretty cold and wet as the heavens opened again just as I was walking through the park. I was dismayed to see that lots of the colourful tulips had been snapped off and discarded along the paths - even in this quiet place there are idiots who just can't help being destructive I'm afraid. It's even more annoying when they don't take the flowers but just cast them aside. Gggrrrr!!!
Well, I'd better make a move I guess. I've a busy time ahead and even more to do now that someone thought it was okay to take my samples. This coming Saturday I'll be at Samuel Taylors in Brighouse again. I'll be taking a Steampunk themed workshop in the morning and then demonstrating in the afternoon. I do know that there are still some spaces left on the workshop, so if you fancy joining in the fun, just contact the shop and they will give you all the details. Looking forward to seeing some of the Port Sunlight ladies on Saturday afternoon though - and I'll remember to bring my "Hope Blooms" stamp set as promised!
Right, bed time now, so I'll say goodnight.

4 comments:

Diane said...

You would have thought someone would have seen the rotter who took your tag samples Lindsay !! And what are they going to do with them I wonder ?? Just a great shame your fab day ended badly....

hugs as always,

Diane xx

Paul B said...

Some people really make me despair!!! Let's just say I don't think I would have handled it as well as you did. The air would be blue if someone stole my samples. Riffraff! That aside, glad you had a good day and met up with friends :) And I must have missed the news about being made Verger! So congratulations!!! You will be superb at it. Have a great week. Pxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay, I can't tell you how wonderful it was to see you on Saturday, it made my day :-) It's awful how people can help themselves to your things...GRRRRrrrr I hope you don't mind, not having my camera with me, please can I 'borrow' your photo of us? Think I may need to do some touching up to get rid of my chins!!!!! I hope to be able to 'stalk you again very soon....Need my Lindsay hugs :-) Love S xxxx

Joan said...

Oh Lindsay, can't believe someone was so horrible as to steal your samples! I know most stampers would never dream of such a thing but there seems to be always a "bad apple". Your demos were as usual amazing and we stood for ages watching you. My friend and I have booked onto your Leeds class and I think another couple of friends are also booking ,look forward to seeing you

Joan