About Me

I'm a freelance artist, designer and demonstrator and have been involved in arts and craft my whole life in one way or another. I design stamps for top British company Personal Impressions, under the "Lindsay Mason Designs" brand, as well as papers, templates and other crafting products. I'm a certified Ranger Educator and my first book,"Stamping", was published in 2009. I also design regular projects for Crafts Beautiful magazine and have made guest appearances from time to time on QVC. I've recently joined You Tube under the name of LindsayMason1000 where I'm posting short technique videos and you can buy my paintings and hand crafted pieces from my Etsy shop. My work takes me all around the country demonstrating stamping, papercrafts and general inkiness! When I'm not working, I love gardening, church & community activities, nature watching, journalling, music and theatre and just relaxing at home. Email me at: ljm.design1@virginmedia.com

Thursday 12 June 2014

How to rescue a bee!

Hi folks, another quick coffee break post...well, it's a fruit tea break actually, blood orange and cranberry to be exact. I had a rather late night as the Les Mis film night didn't end till after midnight (chatting!) and then I spent an hour or so winding down before bed.
I thought you might like to see a picture of the bee that I rescued yesterday! Poor thing was in my kitchen, lying on his back and obviously struggling. Bees need sunshine to warm them up enough to fly and, of course, it's a well known fact that, in theory, they shouldn't even be able to fly being so heavy in relation to their wings. Time for some emergency treatment then!
I got him onto a piece of card and placed him outside on the grass. Next job was to dissolve sugar in a cup of warm water which I took outside and used to soak a tissue. The bee looked completely lifeless but when I placed the tissue next to his face he instantly began to lap up the sugar....
...he really had a feast and I had to pour more sugar solution on for him!
After about ten minutes of sunshine and sugar he had the energy to move around and then he gave his wings and legs a few stretches and was off, buzzing around the flowers very happily! Success! 
Really easy to rescue a bee and they need all the help they can get.

3 comments:

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Ah bless Lindsay,I have done this a couple of times too as it breaks my heart to see them struggling,there are to few of them as there is sadly. People that are kind to all creatures are the best : )

Hugs,Donna.x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Well done Lindsay! Lovely pic too! Have a good day! Chrisx

Artyjen said...

How fabulous Lins! What you did for the bee and the picture too ;)
xoxo Sioux