About Me

I'm a freelance artist, designer and demonstrator and have been involved in arts and craft my whole life in one way or another. I design stamps for top British company Personal Impressions, under the "Lindsay Mason Designs" brand, as well as papers, templates and other crafting products. I'm a certified Ranger Educator and my first book,"Stamping", was published in 2009. I also design regular projects for Crafts Beautiful magazine and have made guest appearances from time to time on QVC. I've recently joined You Tube under the name of LindsayMason1000 where I'm posting short technique videos and you can buy my paintings and hand crafted pieces from my Etsy shop. My work takes me all around the country demonstrating stamping, papercrafts and general inkiness! When I'm not working, I love gardening, church & community activities, nature watching, journalling, music and theatre and just relaxing at home. Email me at: ljm.design1@virginmedia.com

Friday 18 October 2013

Graham the artist

Heather has sent me some pictures to share with you - she photographed them from printed photos, so they aren't the best quality images, but they do show what a talented man Graham was. There are also a couple of pictures of Heather and Graham together which are really lovely.
Here they are on their wedding day......
 ....both looking really happy.
And I love this one.....
 .....Heather said she thinks they look like Howard and Hilda from Ever Decreasing Circles! I love the adoring way that Graham is looking at her. Happy memories.
As promised, here are some examples of Graham's artwork. He created all kinds of things and was both a brilliant sculptor as well as being able to work in miniature with incredible detail, despite being a big man.
Here is one of his many modelled scenes, this one  of a traction engine.....
 ....he loved to spend countless hours on all the tiny details to make the scenes come alive.
This is another scene, this time of a steam engine room.There's so much to look at in this one...the portrait of Queen Victoria, the peeling plaster on the walls, the ash under the boiler and I'm pretty sure that there's a mouse in there somewhere too. The lights in this scene actually work too though it's hard to tell in the photo.
This picture is of one of Graham's sculptures which is called Miss Patricia. I'm not too sure who she is, but I think she was a commissioned piece. Graham created a lot of bronzes - he did the whole process himself, from the initial clay sculptures through making the moulds and using the lost wax casting method to produce the finished pieces.
He was also creating wonderful pieces like this one, long before the current trends in altered art etc.....
.....this is one to keep looking at over and over again. The stained glass windows, the jewelled crown, the detailed halo. This piece was hung in the Grundy Art Gallery and, typically of Graham, he gave it away to someone who was going through a bad time and who admired his work. 
Finally, take a look at this fantasy castle......
.....it's just a shame about the flash, or should I say "flush"?! Amazing as it seems, Graham created this huge piece to cover the old fashioned cistern above the loo in one of their old flats! How grand to have a floating castle in the smallest room! Heather said it was the main feature that sold the flat when they moved!
I hope you've enjoyed looking at just a small representation of Graham's talents, he really was a great artist.

7 comments:

Diane said...

Just wow Lindsay. Graham really had wonderful imagination and artistic talent !!

hugs Diane xx

Hazel (Didos) said...

WOW stunning pieces, Thank You and Heather for sharing with us,
Much Love Hazelxox

Unknown said...

Hi Lindsay, thank you for sharing these photos with us, he certainly was an amazing artist. Thinking of you both.Take care.
Carol.x

Artyjen said...

Yes, he certainly had an amazing talent :) Thanks for sharing.
xoxo Sioux

pearshapedcrafting said...

A truly talented man and such a range! I'd have bought a house with a cistern like that!!! Great to see them - Thank you! Take care, Chrisx

Mel said...

wow, what amazing talent Graham had. thanks for sharing with us

Paul B said...

Wow such talent and imagination. What a wonderful way to share his memory. Thank you for sharing those photos. I'm sure both you and Heather will treasure them always. Pxx