About Me

I'm a freelance artist, designer and demonstrator and have been involved in arts and craft my whole life in one way or another. I design stamps for top British company Personal Impressions, under the "Lindsay Mason Designs" brand, as well as papers, templates and other crafting products. I'm a certified Ranger Educator and my first book,"Stamping", was published in 2009. I also design regular projects for Crafts Beautiful magazine and have made guest appearances from time to time on QVC. I've recently joined You Tube under the name of LindsayMason1000 where I'm posting short technique videos and you can buy my paintings and hand crafted pieces from my Etsy shop. My work takes me all around the country demonstrating stamping, papercrafts and general inkiness! When I'm not working, I love gardening, church & community activities, nature watching, journalling, music and theatre and just relaxing at home. Email me at: ljm.design1@virginmedia.com

Monday 9 August 2010

Candy & Pages

Hello all, well, we've had to re-draw a blog candy ticket as the original winner didn't contact me. So...I sprinkled all the folded tickets into a pile, as you can see....

......then, with Peggy the cat as the official scrutineer, to ensure fair play, David delicately plucked one name out...... ....... and unfolded it to reveal that the new winner is..... Jovick. Well done to you. Please email me on ljm.design@ntlworld.com with your name and address and I'll get the Candy sent out to you. Hopefully, Jovick will see this, as we don't want to have to draw a third name! I'll organise some more Candy before too long.Meanwhile, I had a lovely time in Norwich. I got there on Friday afternoon and had a wander around the city centre shops and looked at the many churches and old buildings. It's a really lovely city with a very positive atmosphere. Unlike many of the places I visit, which can look very similar...same chain stores etc...Norwich has lots of small, independent shops which makes for an interesting few hours of browsing. Next day I was in the craft department of Jarrold's department store where I was using lots of Tim Holtz and Ranger products as well as my clear stamp sets. Hello to everyone that I met there. I'll be back down in Norwich (at Sew Simple, in Taverham) in a few weeks time, so hope to see you again soon.
The journey down was very uneventful, especially as I didn't have to change trains...hoorah! I spent some time drawing, but also a lot of time wildlife spotting. There wasn't a great deal to see though...all the animals seemed to be sleeping in the undergrowth as they were very scarce indeed! However, about ten minutes from Norwich station the train stopped beside a stream and I noticed some dragonflies zipping about. I was just admiring them when a flash of electric blue came into vision and, yes, I had a grandstand view of a Kingfisher as it flew down the length of the stream and out of sight. It was a most marvellous sight and, because of the position of the train, I was looking at him from above and for his full flight. It made the whole journey for me - anytime I see the Fisher King I feel very privileged indeed.
Coming back, the weather was a little weird, with a misty rain combined with sunshine which created some unusual light effects. I wished that I had taken my camera, as one part of the journey was just so other worldly. The rainy mist created a strong haze and. looking through it to the trees and shrubs beyond, the landscape transformed into a fairy tale one, complete with what looked like castles, turrets and magical creatures. It really was a breathtaking sight, but, with no photograph, you will just have to imagine it from my description!
The spell was broken once the train got to Nottingham where a group of males boarded...a real mixture of ages, but they acted like one entity, rather than individuals. It was the good old footie fans needless to say...the bane of my travelling life. The smell of booze was heavy in the air and it wasn't long before the swearing started. Across the aisle from me was a mother with her small daughter who was laying across her lap. The mother had her hand over the child's ear. This was too much for me to stand, so I went over to the seats where the "herd" were, and, quite politely, asked them to tone down their language as, not only did I find it very offensive, but there was also a small child right behind them. "Oh sorry love" came the reply, but no sooner had I sat down they started up again, and then began to chant at such decibels as to make one's ears hurt. Well, thought I, I'm not telling them again, let someone else do it this time. Of course, nobody did and even the offended mother didn't acknowledge me when I caught her eye. Thankfully they alighted at Sheffield, but, of course, my wonder at the landscape had been shattered.
David thinks it would be a good idea for me to have a "Rant" corner on my blog, to get out all the frustrations which I have...such as why the train guard was completely absent after those guys (I won't honour them with the word "men") got on, or why other people don't back one up in these situations, or why train companies allow their passengers to be subjected to all these ingrates. I may well give the rant corner a go - at least it would feel as if I was getting my opinion out there to like minded people. Well, back to more arty things. Several of Heather's book page swappees have posted pictures of their progress, or, in some cases, completed pages...the swines! So, here are some of the ones that I have done so far, though the pictures are not very good, maybe the poor light today. The first one, above, is Heavy Metal. I've used TH paper to cover the board and attached cletter charms to a chain as well as a dictionary definition. I applied Claudine Hellmuth Multi Matte Medium around the edges and in "drips" before using PI Pewter Shimmer powder to emboss it. The bottom left is a few layers of the powder just very casually stamped into to give texture.

Next is "I dreamed a Dream" which I really enjoyed doing. This one features TH paper again and a vintage lady image (from Heather) which I then beeswaxed within an inch of it's life! I've added some alcohol ink dyed velvet ribbon, an adage ticket and some broken jewllery. The little frame has a vintage photo added to it (someone asked me on Saturday if that was Tim Holtz, which tickled me!) with Glossy Accents over the top.

Next is "Take Flight" and, well, I couldn't resist doing a distressy sky for this one! I stamped my fairy silhoutte in one corner and Tim's tree stamp below. Water bleaching just adds some stars and some atmosphere. You can't tell here, but she has a second, acetate wing to give more dimension. Lastly, this is "Ghost in the Machine" which I never thought I was going to get done! Again, it's a rubbish photo! I've used film strip ribbon with a ghostly face behind, an old gramophone image that I found and the ghost is from a Best Creations Halloween paper - it was white, but I decided to grunge it up a bit! The backing paper is another of Tim's. Oh, lots of Beeswax again - love it!
I have also finished "Vintage Journeys" but forgot to take a piccie!
We are supposed to put a flat backing on the pages, and I haven't been able to resist decorating them with doodles and colouring etc. I like some of them more than the fronts! Anyway, hope the recipients will like them...everyone seems to be very nervous about their creations but they all look so different and so creative that I know each book will be treasured by its' owner.

Well, I had better sign off now....oh, except to say that we went to the car boot sale again yesterday and I had some luck in finding mini treasures for the Matchbox Shrine workshop that I'm teaching next month. I found mini bottles, some little ornaments, old brooches etc which those of you who are joing me will be able to choose from. However, if you do have any tiny treasures that you'd like to use, or even donate to the pile, then do feel free!

Lastly, "Peggy" the cat was a birthday gift from Joanne and Terry and I named her that because, as some of you will know, Terry has been named "Peg Leg" after several mishaps. So, Peggy the cat it had to be in honour of a lovely gentleman! Cute isn't she?!Lindsay

8 comments:

Diane said...

It was lovely to meet you at Jarrolds, thank you for all the time you spent showing all your techniques...your work is even more stunning "in the flesh"! Haven't had a chance to try the embossing with the distress inks yet, fingers crossed I will have a quick play tomorrow. Glad you enjoyed our city...pity about your journey (but good to have a rant!!)
Thanks again
Diane

Artyjen said...

Oh dear I'm only just starting page 3!!!
xoxo Sioux

Lavender stamper said...

Hi Lindsay
So sorry that we spelt your name wrong on the sign advertising your arrival at jarrolds. I have seen the lovely samples today that you left & the girls were telling me about your Tim holtzs stories.
I'm glad you liked Norwich, it is indeed a very beautiful city.
I hope to see you back at jarrolds soon & maybe this time I will be working & I promise we will make a new sign with your name spelt correctly.
Take care until then
Lisa ( Jarrolds Art & craft dept )

P.s someone asked where the bottle tops are from?

Mishelflos Paper Creations said...

Well I dont believe this! I mentioned in an earlier comment that I was born in Norwich, well my Auntie lives in Taverham!!

This is sooooo unfair Lindsay!! If it wasnt so far from Devon to Norwich, I would go and stay with her for the weekend so I could come and see you.

Never mind, I will tell her you will be there:)

I might even go and have a rant on your new Blog.

Why dont we get lovely people like you coming down to Devon haha
love
Michelle x

Gez Butterworth said...

awe, Lindsay sorry to hear about the louts on your train journey. I use the trains a lot with my children & have to say I don't always feel safe. :(
On a lighter note I LOVE your pages they are all FAB. Peggy is gorgeous too. :)
Well Done finding some treasures for the workshop.xx Will keep my eyes peeled too.. can't wait. :)
Chin up. Hugs, Gez.xx

Lindsay Mason said...

Diane - lovely to meet you too, and I really enjoyed my trip. Sioux - you'll get them done, don't worry! Lisa, don't worry about the spelling. The girls were delightful and so good that they wanted to learn all the techniques. You can get bottletops from anywhere that sells wine making products - mine came from Wilkinsons (some time ago now!) Michelle - I would love to come to Devon, who knows...watch this space! Lindsay x

Lindsay Mason said...

Didn't mean to leave you out Gez! Only just saw your comment! Have been trying to add your blog to my bloglist but can't get it on for some reason. Will keep trying! Lindsay x

Heather said...

Ooh, some beautiful pages, Lindsay, & I love the backs that you've doodled on too ..... we're all going to love having one of these pages in our books! I finished my last page yesterday - hooray! - now only got 9 fronts and 9 backs to make before 7th Sept - I'm not panicking, really I'm not! *LOL* Heather x