About Me

I'm a freelance artist, designer and demonstrator and have been involved in arts and craft my whole life in one way or another. I design stamps for top British company Personal Impressions, under the "Lindsay Mason Designs" brand, as well as papers, templates and other crafting products. I'm a certified Ranger Educator and my first book,"Stamping", was published in 2009. I also design regular projects for Crafts Beautiful magazine and have made guest appearances from time to time on QVC. I've recently joined You Tube under the name of LindsayMason1000 where I'm posting short technique videos and you can buy my paintings and hand crafted pieces from my Etsy shop. My work takes me all around the country demonstrating stamping, papercrafts and general inkiness! When I'm not working, I love gardening, church & community activities, nature watching, journalling, music and theatre and just relaxing at home. Email me at: ljm.design1@virginmedia.com

Tuesday 20 April 2010

Express yourself

Hello everyone. What a busy and fun weekend that was. On saturday I was teaching the Ranger Mirror workshop and it was three (and a bit!) hours of chaotic creativity! A great time was had by all and we "Melt Potted", stamped, Beeswaxed, inked, cut, distressed and painted up a storm. Nobody actually left with a completely finished and assembled mirror because we spent our time cramming in as many techniques as possible. Choosing some Grungeboard pieces...kids in candy store springs to mind!Take a look at the eclectic mix of goodies on the tables as I give a quick run through of the next technique.
My sister, Heather, before we got started on the workshop - yes, she had been doing a bit of shopping already!
Oodles of paints, inks, stamps and who knows what else! Here everyone was distressing stamped images before glueing acrylic fragments over the top of them. Pretty clean fingers considering the artistic mess!
And here are two partially completed mirrors. I'll post a picture of the alternative version of the mirror which I made but at the moment it is still in the boot of the car! Heather has a piccie of it on her blog though if you'd like to see it meantime. Oh yes, following from two pictures that I posted recently, there is now a running gag on here and it is entitled "Where's Terry?". Terry is the lovely hubby of Joanne (My Toby Jug) and it has become a ritual now that whenever we see each other at a demo or workshop, Terry pretends to make off with one of my samples or some of my stash! So, not much of a challenge today, but can you spot the culprit sneaking off with a pile of my paints?! Joanne and Terry popped along to see us on Saturday before the workshop started, and it's always lovely to catch up with them. I shall sneak more images of Terry on here from time to time, so keep your eye open for him!
I stayed at Dawn's on Saturday night, so we had a good catch up as we hadn't seen each other since I was on QVC in February. She looks fabulous and is feeling much better now, and really grateful for all the support that she's had from her followers. We went for a lovely Italian meal with Kelsey (dawn's niece) and her friend Chloe - dressed like identical twins! Then I had great fun playing ball with Charlie and Arnie...two of Dawn's doggies. Next day I was back in the studio to demonstrate a bit of all sorts really. A very busy day but so many lovely people came along that the day just rushed by.
My title today refers to something that I feel very strongly about and that is the way that more "mainstream" styles are sometimes regarded as being somehow less creative and possibly inferior to the altered art styles. I, for instance, hate being pigeon holed as an exponent of cute styles just because many of stamp designs feature whimsical characters. I, like many of you, enjoy many eclectic styles, techniques and genres and none should be regarded as more valuable than any other. There can be a certain amount of "snobbery" about altered art which I know, having spoken to many people at demonstrations and workshops, can be intimidating. So, my message is to enjoy whatever you are working on at the moment whether it be simple, artsy, cute, vintage, whimsical or altered. All are equally valid! This subject was sparked by a conversation that David and I were having yesterday about the elitism that often surrounds modern art, poetry or even altered art where there is often an invented mystery to keep it exclusive. I'd be interested in reading your opinions on the subject!
Well, I've been busy drawing new designs, so decided to write this post as a little break and have updated my demonstrations and workshops - think I need to learn to fly a helicopter! Better get back to work now. Lindsay

4 comments:

Sarah McCrossan said...

Hi Lovely Lindsay,
Sound like your a very busy lady!
Hope your keeping well,
Take Care
Love Sarah xx

Sarah McCrossan said...

I agree btw!
Art is a piece of something that you created and enjoyed creating!
Love Sarah x x x

Joanne said...

Well Lindsay, I can certainly relate to your thoughts. You know only too well that I am an absolute amateur and won't have said any other even though I can now produce some 'interesting' bits of 'art' I still love every aspect of the whole papercrafting thing. I've mentioned on my blog how totally at ease I feel when I meet 'the professionals' who to me, are the most down to earth, wonderful friendly folk I could ever wish to come across. All I can say is, if some think they are above belonging to this enormous family, then let them get on with it, so long as they don't want me to join. Wow! where did all that come from? Luv xxx

angie's blogspot said...

Hi Lindsay, just want to say a big thankyou to you and David for a fabulous class on saturday, like I said it was my first worshop and I felt so at ease, my mirror is now complete and hanging in the lounge. I like all kinds of craft and usually pick what suits my mood wether it be whimsy altered etc, go with the flow and enjoy what you do, xxxxx