About Me

I'm a freelance artist, designer and demonstrator and have been involved in arts and craft my whole life in one way or another. I design stamps for top British company Personal Impressions, under the "Lindsay Mason Designs" brand, as well as papers, templates and other crafting products. I'm a certified Ranger Educator and my first book,"Stamping", was published in 2009. I also design regular projects for Crafts Beautiful magazine and have made guest appearances from time to time on QVC. I've recently joined You Tube under the name of LindsayMason1000 where I'm posting short technique videos and you can buy my paintings and hand crafted pieces from my Etsy shop. My work takes me all around the country demonstrating stamping, papercrafts and general inkiness! When I'm not working, I love gardening, church & community activities, nature watching, journalling, music and theatre and just relaxing at home. Email me at: ljm.design1@virginmedia.com

Monday 9 April 2012

A quiet time - except for the music!

The Easter break is almost over and, as I heard someone say, the reason that Bank Holidays are so good is that we can really enjoy having some sheer relaxation without feeling guilty because we're all off work! Well, not quite all I realise, but I agree with the sentiment. Hope everyone's been able to have a good break.
So, the last couple of days have been spent at home and very quietly, partly due to the horrid bug that grabbed me on Friday but seems to be on its way now thank goodness. Partly due to the fact that it's been raining all day, so the gardening had to be shelved except for planting out a few things that I've been growing indoors. Not that this is craft related, but I hope that this piccie of Tara helping me to gen up on some plant knowledge will be acceptable for Joanne's Crafting Buddies ......yes, I know it's really meant to show our furry friends helping us to craft, but seeing as I wasn't either, I think it will count! I think Tara was looking for the section on Catnip! I did say it had been a quiet couple of days, but this afternoon was anything but really. David happened upon Channel 5 where they were showing the 25th Anniversary production of The Phantom of the Opera from the Royal Albert Hall. Unfortunately it had been on for an hour or so, and I completely forgot about Channel 5 plus one! However, it was just fantastic and I enjoyed every second. The tenor in the Phantom role was Ramin Karimloo who, coincidentally, was on Songs of Praise last night and who we first saw in the anniversary concert of Les Mis that Heather got us at Christmas. At the end of the opera Andrew Lloyd Webber came onto the stage and welcomed the original cast. Sarah Brightman sang along with four Phantoms as well as the current one. I get so caught up in musicals/operas that I was in tears most of the way through, even during the curtain calls! If you get chance to see this then do......if you don't like the music, watch it with the sound off because the stage sets and costumes were out of this world....quite staggering really.

It also brought to mind something that I seem to come across more and more these days. So many "comedians", or guests on panel shows etc seem to find it clever and funny to make so called jokes and jibes about people purely on their looks. I'm sometimes surprised at the people who are guilty of this as they are often those who I'd thought of as quite intelligent. No matter how talented the target may be, if they happen to be less than handsome or beautiful then they become "fair game". I was reminded by the Phantom story of course, and then when Andrew Lloyd Webber appeared who must be one of the most picked upon people in this way, despite his tremendous talent. Camilla Parker Bowles is forever being compared to a horse (I think she's very attractive), Susan Boyle will, apparently, never be appreciated for her voice alone, but will always find herself being sniggered at on comedic quiz shows. The list goes on. It's a horrible side to people that I really hate. The fact that everyone looks different (remarkable when you think how few features we have!) should be accepted and celebrated, not made into the subject for cruel "humour". Why do people do it? What do you think?
Anyway, having just watched the last half hour of Phantom again, on plus one, it is time to settle down for the evening now! The rain has stopped but it's a bit late to go outside now really. I had better go as I can hear lots of hissing coming from behind the door and may need to seperate two fur balls if I don't break things up now!

5 comments:

Clare said...

Here, here Lindsay!!!. I totally agree with your comments on how cruel people are to other's. I hate bullying too and think it is so sad that people are picked on because of the way they look. Every one is unique and how boring would it be if we did all look the same!!!. I think these bullies have their own insecurities going on personally.
I really love reading your posts and adore seeing your furry babies!!!. Keep us all smiling hun!. Hugs Clare xxx

Redanne said...

Hi Lindsay, firstly, I love the piccie of Tara, it is adorable. Now, about comedians - I don't watch them any more for the very reasons you state. I worked for the Disability Rights Commission for many years and saw what people have to put up with - disgraceful. But I guess the comedians will continue as long as there are sad people who laugh at such things. It is not like the 'old days' - Morecambe and Wise and such like. Makes me sound VERY old.....but I don't mind. Glad you had some down time after your busy weekend.

Joanne said...

So glad you are feeling better for a start and enjoying your lovely garden. I'm doing battle with Mr & Mrs Blackie at the moment because they see themselves as gardeners - not - leave my pots and border alone!! Sorry but musicals don't appeal to me at all. It's a shame because I used to love music very much but seem to have lost that love these last 15 or so years. As for 'look hate', the worse for me is encouraging youngsters to become anorexic. On the other hand, I abhor the encouraging of making them fat too. When I was young I never knew a fat child. What went wrong?? Enough, continue to enjoy your bits of 'me' time and please spare a thought for those this week who have to look after monsters!!!!!!
Big Hugs Joanne xxoxooxx

christinaglitter said...

Hi Lindsay
Just love reading your bloggs they fall of warmth and you write things that we all can related to .
Love the photo of your cat reading the gardening mag . Good you are feeling better . l never met you yet hope one day will get to one of your demos /workshops. But do have loads of your stamps lots of cat ones just love cats, also got lovely stamp with sentiments for mothers , l lost my mum two years ago last Sunday for mothers day l used one of your verse's and use a lily of valley stamp as was mum favourite flower made card and laminated put it by headstone the words you had wrote the one l chose in end was Mum ,l have always known how much you love me
From the care that you've shown .
So i'm sending this today
to tell you that l love you
more than simple words can say.
Never knew mum knew how much l loved her and how miss her as not good at saying how l feel.
Thanks Lindsay for designing lovely set of stamps getting a big collections of them.
Have good day everyone xx

misteejay said...

Tara certainly seems to be enjoying her 'browse'.

The world seems to have become a rather hateful place in some circumstances and so very image concious. I just wish folk could put aside such easy targets and concentrate on the talent.

Enjoy your 'me' time.

Toni xx