About Me

I'm a freelance artist, designer and demonstrator and have been involved in arts and craft my whole life in one way or another. I design stamps for top British company Personal Impressions, under the "Lindsay Mason Designs" brand, as well as papers, templates and other crafting products. I'm a certified Ranger Educator and my first book,"Stamping", was published in 2009. I also design regular projects for Crafts Beautiful magazine and have made guest appearances from time to time on QVC. I've recently joined You Tube under the name of LindsayMason1000 where I'm posting short technique videos and you can buy my paintings and hand crafted pieces from my Etsy shop. My work takes me all around the country demonstrating stamping, papercrafts and general inkiness! When I'm not working, I love gardening, church & community activities, nature watching, journalling, music and theatre and just relaxing at home. Email me at: ljm.design1@virginmedia.com

Monday 12 September 2011

Keep going you fool!

A phrase that has always tickled me and seems appropriate this week! On Friday I took the train down to Norwich and it was an especially good journey. This is a good time of year to see interesting sights through the "wide screen tv" of a train window! The first notable image was of a field of ducks - not a field with a few mallards toddling about, but hundreds of ducks waddling about or sunbathing. I don't think these were domesticated, so I guess they were all on there way somewhere and decided to stop off for a rest. That was my idea anyway!
Further along I spotted another deer - a little one, all on its tod. Then a lovely view of a long stream with swans carefully watching three huge Shire horses on the banks, one craning over to take a drink. As the landscape changes, so does the wildlife, and I saw a large Buzzard wheeling around as the train ventured further south. The trees themselves change too, and the rounded tops of Chestnuts, Elms and Oaks gave way to pencil straight pines that looked as though, if one shifted slightly, they would all topple in a continuous cascade like a row of dominoes. At Ely, I thought I saw a hare, but it could well have just been a big rabbit if I'm honest! No Kingfisher as we pulled into Norwich this time, but I had been treated to some lovely sights.
I spent the afternoon walking around the city's streets, both large and small, though I must confess that it wasn't as enjoyable as usual due to the oppressively humid weather. It wasn't just me - everyone was saying how heavy limbed they felt. However, I still managed about five hours of wandering which meant I slept reasonably well despite the heat.
Next day I was at Jarrolds famous department store where I had a busy day getting very inky...which caused some humour when someone remarked how "clean" all my samples were, as I had been pointing out all my inky fingerprints on everything just before! Hello to all the ladies and, yes, a few men (!) who I met on Saturday, some for the first time. It was lovely to meet you all and I hope that you have all been having fun making those landscapes!
The day sped by and I was soon dashing down to the station for the four and a half hour journey home. It was a nice, quiet train journey and, coming back a slightly different route, I saw hundreds of Norfolk's famous piggies...all living outdoors with their own stys (styes, sties...?!) you'll be pleased to know. Made me feel guilty about my cooked breakfast at the guest house though! I spotted a Heron too, but then, of course, it was beginning to get dark, so my viewing pleasure ended with glorious views of the sun setting over water and some spectacular clouds.
I got home late and, before I knew it, it was Sunday morning and we were off to St Helens to teach a full day of workshops. Here is the well behaved table...all inking, colouring and sticking very nicely.....
.....this is the self confessed "naughty" table, though they behaved quite well I have to admit! Here they were making their own decorated paper for the Triptych that we made in the afternoon. In the morning however, everyone had a go at faux bleaching using water over a Distress inked background. Nearly everyone felt a little worried about painting their own scene, but I think all of the finished results had real charm and character....Jacqui's ...........and Christine's snowmen were especially folksy and characterful.... ....they were all brilliant. I haven't got photos of my finished workshop projects yet as the camera batteries have died, but I will post these later in the week.
Here are more background papers being inked after stamping first with Andy Skinner's "Let the Festivities Begin" set. These papers formed the inside covers of the Triptychs.
And here are the ladies (some, very naughtily hiding....come out from the back there please Sheila and Kath!) with their Triptychs as they looked at the end of the day. These are a work in progress, so I'd love to see any piccies of extra embellishing that any of you have done. It was a really fun filled day as you can hopefully see! More workshops are available, so check the left sidebar for details. So, after a windy day, but not exactly on a hurricane scale here, I am all packed up again and ready for my trip to Whitley Bay tomorrow. I'll be demonstrating at Papercuts in Roxburgh House...a mix of stamps, papers, punches and lots of inky techniques. Not sure that I'll be having a paddle as I did back in March when I was there for the shop opening day! You never know though...I'm pretty game for tippy toeing in even the coldest of sea, so I'll let you know!
I was about to say "have a great weekend" and then realised it's only Monday and I have a trip way up north and then one way down south before the weekend gets going! (Hence my post title!) I'll post more pictures later in the week. Take care everyone.

4 comments:

Glennis F said...

Wow, Lindsay, what a busy life you lead!!

Hazel (Didos) said...

What a busy time you have been having.
Love train journeys. (Well I did before the illness thingy!!) Used to go to London a lot and Loved those 8 hours on the train sightseeing.
Hope all is well, Love Hazelxox

Joanne said...

This looks like another fabulous workshop. Enjoy breezy Whitley Bay. So wish you could come a bit closer with the demos and workshops. I reckon David should get on the case!!
Big Hugs Joanne xxxx

SusieJ said...

Phew! I'm tired just reading about your week!
The workshops sound to have been real fun (I'm a naughty table person. lol!).
Hoping to see you on Saturday at AMOM.
Hugs xx