About Me

I'm a freelance artist, designer and demonstrator and have been involved in arts and craft my whole life in one way or another. I design stamps for top British company Personal Impressions, under the "Lindsay Mason Designs" brand, as well as papers, templates and other crafting products. I'm a certified Ranger Educator and my first book,"Stamping", was published in 2009. I also design regular projects for Crafts Beautiful magazine and have made guest appearances from time to time on QVC. I've recently joined You Tube under the name of LindsayMason1000 where I'm posting short technique videos and you can buy my paintings and hand crafted pieces from my Etsy shop. My work takes me all around the country demonstrating stamping, papercrafts and general inkiness! When I'm not working, I love gardening, church & community activities, nature watching, journalling, music and theatre and just relaxing at home. Email me at: ljm.design1@virginmedia.com

Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Forgot my hat!

Hello folks, back to more cheerful posting after yesterday's sombre WW1 anniversary. But just to say that all of the residents on our lane switched their lights off at 10pm last night (all except one that is) and we all had single candles burning in our windows. It was very moving to see everyone coming together at a specific moment to think about the losses that had gone before. I think that any symbolic gestures that people can get involved in together are always worthwhile....we're so fragmented these days with our reliance on technologies that tend to keep us in our little bubbles.

Well, in a totally different mood, it was a lovely day on Saturday at Coleman's Craft Warehouse in Rushden. I didn't get time to take photographs except for snapping a few of the cards that I made on the day. I forgot to take my Christmas hat too - so there was no photo opportunity there! Hello to everyone who came along and I hope you are all enjoying colouring the Zendoodle stamps, spritzing inks all over the place and creating lovely shimmery textures with the Irresistibles and Shimmer Spritzers!

So, just a few images to share for now.....
 ...a rather clean and simple card for me! This is the Zendoodle Reindeer Ready to Go which I coloured and then outlined with a soft grey to "lift" him from the background. That's a greeting from Tim's Christmas Remnant Rubs pack which I thought had a lovely retro look about it. I just smudged some Peeled Paint Distress ink around the edges and matted onto white card and red glitter card. Simple!
Next up is a card that features the "Wedding Dress" (white!) Irressistibles (did I say that I hate trying to spell that word?!) spray. I spritzed the I**********s (!) over 300 gsm white card and allowed to dry - doesn't take too long and you can gently apply heat once the surface has begun to harden. I then used Dylusions sprays to colour the card and blotted off the excess.

The Irresistibles resists the ink and creates a lovely texture as well. The closer you spray the bigger the spatters and they get finer the further away you spray. The character on this card is my "Stringy Snowman" and I just used white card with touches of ink and Shimmer Spritz to create the snowy landscape.
Talking of landscapes, I do love to create wintery scenes that feature silhouette images. So, here, I used my Peaceful Christmas set after I'd created the background.....
This time I masked off the lower portion of the card using torn paper and then spritzed Dylusions inks over the top section, blotting with kitchen paper to remove the excess and slightly soften the colours. I stamped the trees in full black and then a few times without re-inking to get some hazier trees that give extra depth - it doesn't matter if the trees don't quite touch the white areas as it just makes them look as if they are in snow that's further away.
I then tore extra strips of white card and gently traced along their edges onto the card so I knew what shape I had to work with - hope that makes sense! I was then able to stamp the fence accurately so that it sat just above the first torn strip. A little tip here - I have cut my fence stamp in half...yikes! It just gives me more flexibility when positioning it and I can easily put the two halves together on a block to re create the original image.
I then stamped the deer and added the final strip of torn card. Next I stamped the moon and used a white gel pen to emphasise it. I stamped the message from my Inspirational Quotes set and then gave everything a light mist using the Sparkle Shimmer Spritz for some magical twinkle!
The last card for today was one that proved very popular on Saturday and the Zendoodle Snowman RTG was the first set to sell out. I used a Crafter's Workshop 6" x 6" stencil called Aspen Trees over white card and simply blended Stormy Sky Distress ink over the image, allowing the colour to fade out as it went down. This gives an effect of the trees standing in a furry of snow.
I coloured and cut out the snowman and attached him to the card before adding the message and finishing with some touches of Stickles on the trees. Easy Peasy!
I'm feeling quite pleased with myself just now as I spent an hour or so in the spare bedroom (aka dumping ground, craft store and general glory hole) having a good clear out. It was getting hard to even walk into the room without things falling over, so I decided that enough was enough! My blue recycling bin is now so stuffed with cardboard boxes and paper scraps that I can't close the lid! It's still not exactly a room that I'd want to show to anyone, but it looks a lot better.
Well, the sun is out at the moment but apparently will be going into hiding again very soon, so I am going to plant a couple of new additions in the garden - a shrub that I've forgotten the name of and a rather nice pinkish red and green grass. Hopefully I'll get them in before the rain comes!

3 comments:

Paul Browning said...

Wow these are gorgeous cards. So colourful and artsy. They look like they were immense fun to create. I bet everyone had a fun time at the weekend. Very touching to see nearly a whole street turn it's lights out. I was in bed, so had no idea whether ours did the same :) Pxx

craftypam60 said...

Really beautiful cards :)
I found that hour very moving last night - candles in windows and lights out, time for thoughts of 2 grandads who served the country in the Great War, and all those who lost their lives x

Christina Doré said...

Stunning cards as usual Lindsay! Love the way you create your scenes. they are so atmospheric.